Westchester Land Trust works together with public and private partners to preserve land in perpetuity, and to protect and enhance the natural resources in our communities.
Westchester Land Trust emphasizes the following values as core to our efforts:
- Generational Responsibility: We are committed to the permanent protection of the natural and historic beauty of Westchester County and nearby communities.
- Integrity: We are dedicated to fulfilling our mission with integrity and honesty, working with others in a spirit of cooperation and collaboration.
- Inclusiveness: We recognize and respect the inputs of all our constituents, and value the diverse perspectives they bring to our preservation strategies.
- Organizational Excellence: We will be a professional, effective, and efficient organization committed to excellence and accountability.
Open spaces and a diverse landscape are central aspects of the quality of life in our community, and a fundamental reason we live here. Our vision is to preserve these natural resources for generations to come. Our efforts will be predicated on the following:
- The conservation of open lands, including forests, meadows, agricultural lands, and wetland systems, is critical to the long term health of our community through protection of our watershed, air quality, and food supply.
- Responsible development supports economic vitality without compromising the conservation values of the region.
- Through land preservation, communities throughout the region protect their unique character and historic resources for future generations of residents.
- Conserved lands provide extensive economic benefits by serving as natural filtration systems, helping to ensure clean drinking water; mitigating the need for costly public infrastructure; for water treatment, storm water run-off and pollution abatement.
- Vital habitat lands support diverse communities of flora and fauna, with connecting corridors and protected areas to ensure the sustainability of fragile ecosystems.
- Trails and open spaces throughout the region provide every resident diverse and educational opportunities for healthful enjoyment of nature.